How can this be? One-pan. Really? It’s true, folks. What you see here was totally created in one skillet …from start to finish. And the best part? It’s absolutely delicious. The key to your success is to use refrigerated fresh pasta. The dry stuff won’t work on this one.
This recipe was originally featured in Cooking Light as one of their weeknight quick meal suggestions. Not only is this easy on the clean-up front, it requires very little prep. You can even use prechopped onion and presliced mushrooms to save a few minutes.
How great is that? Sauté the onion, mushrooms & garlic to perfection for about 7 minutes. Add the stock, artichokes, tomatoes & pasta. Season with salt & pepper. Stir it all up to combine. Cover and simmer. For 8 minutes! The mixture is then dressed with a smattering of ricotta & mozzarella. After 2 or 3 minutes under the broiler, dinner is served. Yum!
I don’t know if you guys were keeping track of the total cooking time on this. If not, allow me …we’re talking 20 minutes or less. 20 minutes! This is flavorful and moist when served immediately. If you are lucky enough to have a bit leftover, it is delicious when reheated and topped off with a small amount of marinara.
one-pan pasta with ricotta, artichokes & mushrooms
Adapted from Cooking Light
One skillet from start to finish. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 4.5 ounces)
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock (for vegetarian version, use vegetable stock)
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated fresh fettuccine (or gluten-free fresh fettuccine)
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
Preheat broiler to high with the oven shelf in the highest position.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, mushrooms & garlic to pan; cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken (or vegetable) stock, artichokes, salt, pepper, tomatoes & pasta to pan, and bring to a boil. Stir to combine. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Dot pasta mixture evenly with ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. Place pan under the broiler. Broil mixture for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle evenly with basil.